Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Surgery

My moms had surgery yesturday, I was able to get there for moral support after work and a few hours of nap. The world does infact continue on without me and the morning has a plethera of people doingstuff at that hour, who would've thunk it) I don't know if it was the lack of sleep or the fact that I was in a hospital but I came very close to having a surreal moment. I was walking to the recovery room to see the old lady post-op, pre-release and the monitors beeping away with the IV drips, a stack of perfectly stacked crackers, one slightly off to the side with a bite removed, a miniture pepsi can with a straw dangling, and empty pill cup, voices murmuring all around. My moms looked at me in her drugged up half smile and said "that's pretty Dope" (with emphasis on the Dope portion) Jar of gall bladder, sure, drugged mom saying that's pretty dope, yup.... only a missing zoo animal sauntering through the recovery room would have melted the clocks for me. I was seeing things in slo-mo. Welcome to bizarro land.

Shes's doing awesome, recovering like a trooper and rifling down the vicodin only when the time is right (i.e only when prescribed). I would have liked to take the rest of the week off to hang out and wait on her, but it's not in the cards.

I'm a little worried about the powerful drugs, my grams was addicted to V for a number of years and prior to her passing she was a regular fiend. We'll have to see how things pan out. I know that the clan myself included seem to have addictive personalities for one thing of another.